The twenty minute drive..

I wrapped my vegetable phyllo pie like a Christmas present and turned my oven on..375 degrees for 35 mins. It should be nice and golden when I return from a short drive through the lanes filled with Christmas decor. We three left for a quick drive to freshen us up, though inhaling the recycled air from within the closed car. There is at least one question in mind that lingers all the time.. all pointing to the same answer or no answer. “what has winter done to us” .. “What has parenthood done to us”.. “what has the pandemic done to us”. 

As we drove past our driveway, our four legged princess who normally runs to find a seat in the car the moment she hears the word “drive”, chose to play the quiet music. She looked at us from her bedroom window and didn’t even bark or whine. Look, who’s a grown up, I thought.  Ten minutes down the road, I asked H to hurry back home. I was wondering why I turned the oven on and stepped out, especially when Jill was still at home. What a bad idea was that! Don’t we all realize things a bit late! But usually there is a moment when you can avoid making it TOO LATE. The security camera wouldn’t work and the mommy hormones surged in- no surprise. I knew the fear was irrational, but what are the odds?wait! there are odds?
I remember feeling this way when tornado last hit our zone and we were couple of hours away from home, with Jill home. Jill is such a tender little 8 year old “puppy”. The next ten minutes..driving back home, I could not stop but wonder “what has UNCONDITIONAL love done to me?”. Perhaps, I should invest on a smart smoke detector. 

We were back home and the house was still in tact. Jill was still at the window, waiting for us.. knowing we would always be back for her no matter what. I really don’t know what I’m getting at here. Let’s see what I got! 

1. Seriously, New Year’s Eve is painful in some ways. It can make you anxious, but you’re not alone. 

2. Turning the oven on (though with a timer) and stepping out of the house is certainly the worst idea, whether or not Jill is at home. 

3. We may realize things a bit late.. but almost always you can act upon it and avoid massacres. Never too late.

4. Love makes you crazy. Your heart is where you want it to be! Perhaps your physical location should map to the same geographical coordinates.

5. To be able to hug someone and let them know you wouldn’t put them in the slightest danger ever again— is such a beaufiful feeling.. especially when the receiver is a furry friend. 

6. You’re not totally crazy to find the most stupidest reasons to be close to your love. You’re just creative! 

7. It feels great to have a driver that takes your directions.. despite knowing how crazy you can be. 

8. Whether it’s the pandemic or not, be creative.. find good ways to spend more time with your family.

Did I mention the pie smelled, looked and tasted great? 

Happy New Year! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Jingles

Watch as you listen - Duet !